Girl Next Door Honey is more than just raw and local, it’s made in backyard hives—maybe even your neighbor’s yard. The model is to integrating bees into the local ecosystem through a network of backyard hives instead of lumping them together on some distant apiary.
Meet Hilary Kearney, the founder of Girl Next Door Honey a beekeeping business that focuses on bee-centric programs such as natural beekeeping classes, apiary management, classroom presentations, beehive tours, live bee removal… The ultimate goal is to provide memorable and fun learning experiences for people who want to help bees.
In this episode of Girl Next Door Honey and The Wise Consumer you’ll hear about:
- The entrepreneurial journey that led Hilary to found a beekeeping business (let’s just say beekeeping was never really on the agenda).
- The intelligence of bees & how they communicate with each other (did you know that bees have also been trained to identify Aboriginal art from Picasso, or to smell bombs!)
- The difference between honeybees, bumblebees and Africanized bees.
- How climate change and pesticides are killing bees and why it matters.
- What we, as individuals, can do to help protect bees (+ what to do in case we come across a swarm of bees).
- Her personal struggle to find a manageable work/life balance #thestruggleisreal
- Her love/hate relationship with technology and so much more!
“This was such a great conversation and I truly hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Happy listening!” Madeleine Wisecup, the host of The Wise Consumer podcast
WHY do we need to save the bees?
Bees, so humble, and a species seemingly so small and insignificant is actually incredibly important. Bees perform about 80% of all pollination worldwide. A single bee colony can pollinate 300 million flowers each day. Plants rely on bees and, in turn, our survival depends on bees! There’s been a dramatic decline in the bee population known as the bees colony collapse disorder. and we dig a bit deeper into the causes and provide you with data on why bees matter.
If you are passionate about beekeeping, here’s our ultimate guide on how can you save the bees with 20+ brands that are positively impacting the world of bees.