This post may contain affiliate links . This means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. We only share contents that are aligned with an ethical, sustainable, eco-conscious world.
In this podcast at The Wise Consumer, Madeleine interviews Ibrahim Shams, Co-Founder & CEO of Kiliim, an Egyptian social enterprise and a lifestyle brand that aims to revive and sustain the local craft of handmade kilim rugs. With every purchase, you are helping Kiliim’s initiative to put Fowwa back on the local and international map for authentic craftsmanship.
Shedding the light on the rich history of the craft, the village (Fowa) and the inspirations behind the designs of Kiliim, these rugs tell a story. These are crafted using the finest quality wool yarn and dyes that are guaranteed to last a lifetime. Learn all you need to know about this social enterprise on the interview between Madeleine Wisecup and Ibrahim Shams, Co-Founder & CEO of Kiliim.
In this episode of Kiliim and The Wise Consumer you’ll hear about:
- The history and culture around the ancient craft of kilim weaving in Egypt (dates back to a time when Pharaoh’s still ruled Egypt!)
- The importance of reviving & maintaining the craft of kilim weaving.
- The inspiration and journey that led Ibrahim to Co-Founding Kiliim with his wife Noha, who also happens to be Ibrahim’s Co-Founder and Kiliim’s Chief Designer. Why paying fair wages and working with local artisans in Fowwa, a small village situated along the lush Nile Delta, was so important to both Ibrahim and Noha.
- How and where they source their materials (sustainably sourced cotton and wool).
- The pros and cons of working with your significant other and the challenges of establishing a healthy work/life balance. And so much more!
This was such a GREAT conversation. Ibrahim has such an amazing story to share and he and Noha are truly doing some amazing work! Happy listening! Madeleine Wisecup, the host of The Wise Consumer podcast